The Personal Budget support service at ADKC supports local residents who use care services, including those who get a Personal Budget.
A Personal Budget (PB) is a pot of money, given to a person who has been assessed by a Social Worker as needing care and support, which can be used by that person to pay for support to live an independent life. A Personal Health Budget (PHB) is similar to a Personal Budget – but the money comes from NHS Continuing Healthcare.
The ADKC Personal Budget supports people who:
- Live in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea (RBKC) and
- Are over the age of 18 and
- Receive money from Social Services / Continuing Care to pay for support and /or
- Pay privately for care and support and/or
- Have care and support from a family member / friend ( i.e. they are an unpaid “carer”).
Some of the ways that the ADKC Personal Budget Support Service can help you is by:
- Giving information and advice about care and support issues
- Support you to self-advocate at meetings and assessments about care
- Help you navigate the care and support system
- Making sure that you are the centre of your care plan
- Support you if you want to employ someone privately to support you.
- Holding peer support “User group meetings” and “surgeries“, and training sessions about subjects of interested to people with Personal (Health) Budgets. Look on the events page for the times and dates of meetings and workshops!
In addition to covering the more complex aspects of personal budget support, including on-going casework and supported self advocacy, the Independent Lives K&C project works specifically with Personal (Care /Health) Budget users and others using care and support services to:
- identify and develop new skills
- have a greater input into how the PB support service develops
- take more control over running some parts of the service
- work towards users eventually running the PB support service
PB support coordinator: Jenny Hurst – firstname.lastname@example.org (Mon-Fri after 11.)
The importance of the service:
“Personal (Health) Budgets can be life changing for many people, but the system can unfortunately be quite complex. The PB support service at ADKC tries to work with people to enable them to have as much control as possible over their care and support” Jenny Hurst – Personal Budgets co-ordinator.
“I have really valued the help from the Personal Budget team at ADKC. I now have a Personal Assistant (Privately employed care worker) who supports me in the way that I like to be supported!” A PB user group member.
Follow us on twitter @ADKCPBUserGroup